Chair, Dept of Philosophy
Professor of Philosophy
Director, Sutton Center for Integrity
PhD: University of Arkansas, 1997
MDiv: The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville KY, 1985
MA: University of Arkansas, 1986
BA: OBU, 1980
Ouachita Baptist University, Philosophy Department, 1987-current
Hospital chaplain, Baptist Medical Center, Little Rock AR 1985-1987
Served as pastor, Chidester Baptist Church (1978-1980) and DeGray Baptist Church 1988-1990.
“A Biblical Defense of Critical Thinking” in Critical Thinking and the Bible in the Age of New Media . Charles M. Ess, ed. Dallas: University Press of America, 2004.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- American Philosophical Association
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- American Association of Philosophy Teachers
- Association of Practical and Professional Ethics
- Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers
- Director, William F. “Buddy” Sutton Center for Integrity at OBU.
- Judge for the National Collegiate Ethics Bowl.
Environmental ethics, watersheds and water use in Arkansas, and student moral development.
I met my wife Amy at OBU during our undergraduate days back in the 1970s. We have two grown daughters: Hannah and Ellen. I enjoy racquetball for exercise and kayaking for fun and excitement. In addition to my philosophy courses, I teach a whitewater kayaking course at OBU and occasionally get to enjoy local whitewater rivers.