Friday, August 18, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Check your Ouachita email for a link to sign up for an arrival time.
Apartments: Tuesday, August 15
Check your Ouachita email for move-in info from your apartment manager.
Residence Halls: Saturday-Monday, August 19-21
Check your Ouachita email for a link to sign up for an arrival time.
August 4, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. // Football Student Staff (Managers, Athletic Trainers, Video Production)
August 5, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. // Football
August 10, Various Times // Resident Assistants
August 12, 1:00-3:00 p.m // Men’s & Women’s Soccer, WOW Orientation Steering Committee
August 13, 1:00-3:00 p.m // Cheer, Volleyball, Dance, Band
August 14, 1:00-3:00 p.m // Returning International Student Mentors
August 15, 1:00-3:00 p.m // Campus Ministry Leaders, New International/Third Culture
August 16, 1:00-4:00 p.m. // WOW Orientation Leaders, Men’s & Women’s Track, Men’s
& Women’s Cross Country
August 17, 1:00-3:00 p.m // Returning Nursing Students
What Can You Expect as a New Student?
A welcome befitting our newest Tigers! We’re excited you’ve joined the Ouachita family!
When you arrive at your reserved time, you’ll find a crew of current students and
staff ready to help you every step of the way. Enter campus through Elrod Boulevard,
where you will receive instructions about parking your vehicle. Check in at your residence
hall lobby to get your room key. Come rain or shine, we’ll help unload your vehicle(s)
and take your things to your room.
for new & returning students
- Pack as much as you can into boxes, baskets or shelves/drawers that can be taped or sealed shut.
- Write your room number and residence hall initials (e.g., Frances-Crawford West = FCW) on all of your belongings.
- Once your car is unloaded, follow directions for moving your car and making a space for the next shift of move-in appointments.
- Bring your own carts or hand trucks/dollies for moving in large items.
- Apartment Residents:
- There is limited parking at the apartment complexes, so be considerate when deciding how many vehicles you’ll bring.
- Your utilities must be turned on before you can move in.
Wondering what to bring to Ouachita? We've got some tips for you.
The first challenge of your college experience may be figuring out how to squeeze the essential possessions of two people into one residence hall room. Communicate with your roommate before you arrive on campus, especially concerning large items such as microwaves, refrigerators and televisions.
Arkadelphia has a Walmart, Brookshire's Grocery and several discount stores and pharmacies. However, we recommend that you come prepared with what you’ll need for the first few weeks of school since these stores will be taxed heavily due to the large influx of students.
- smart tv or television and streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Apple TV)
- TV wall mounts are NOT allowed.
- television streaming service subscription
- microwave (one per suite)
- MicroFridge or mini fridge (4.5 cubic feet or less)
- dining utensils, cups and plates to use when eating meals in your room
- paper towels
- Keurig and K-Cup pods
- computer – preferably a laptop; LAN cable if your device is not wireless
- power strip/surge protector
- desk lamp and/or floor lamp
- pens, pencils, highlighters, sticky notes, small dry erase board
- backpack or satchel
- cleaning supplies for your dorm room/suite (disinfecting spray and wipes, all-purpose cleaner, dish soap, glass cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, Magic Erasers)
- vacuum, broom, small mop or Swiffer
- items to decorate your room and make you feel at home
- adhesive putty and/or Command strips to hang your decorations
- Nails and thumb tacks are NOT allowed.
- curtains and tension rods
- Curtains must hang on tension rods fitted inside window frames; curtain hardware mounting brackets are NOT allowed.
- area rug
- small fan
- trash can
- alarm clock
- twin-sized bedding (mattress pad, sheets, blanket, pillow, pillowcase, bedspread)
- shower curtain, shower curtain rings, bath rug
- Does not apply to residents of O.C. Bailey
- bath linens, robe
- shower caddy for toiletries
- personal hygiene items
- first aid kit, including over-the-counter pain and allergy relievers, adhesive bandages, elastic bandage, antibiotic ointment
- laundry bag or basket
- liquid or powder laundry detergent – no pods!
- iron, ironing board, hangers
- umbrella, raincoat, shoes/boots
- workout and/or sports clothes
- sports equipment (football, volleyball, basketball, etc.) for use at the sand volley ball court/outdoor basketball court
- friends and family contact list
- Include all contact information, even mailing addresses)
- weapons of any kind, including firearms
- If you are a hunter, contact the Office of Campus Safety & Emergency Management at (870) 245-4000 about storing your firearm.
- explosives of any kind, including fireworks
- alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs
- pets (fish are acceptable in tanks up to 3 gallons)
- candles, incense, lighters, matches
- Open coil and open flame devices including toasters, toaster ovens and hot plates are strictly prohibited.
- printers (Wireless printers are strongly discouraged)
THE TIGER HANDBOOK HAS FULL DETAILS ABOUT UNIVERSITY POLICIES, INCLUDING THESE:
|Alcohol and Drugs||pp. 18, 28|
|Apartment Policies and Procedures||pp. 42-43|
|Cable Television Service||p. 39|
|Drug Testing||p. 20|
|Firearms and Weapons||p. 18|
|Internet Service||p. 40|
|Possession/Use of Fireworks||p. 18|
|Pets||pp. 18, 39|
|Use of Campus Computer Network||p. 35|
Where is Elrod Boulevard?
It’s the main entrance to Ouachita’s campus, off of 10th Street. All new student move-in drivers must enter the campus here to help us manage traffic.
How will I know where/who my RD is when I get to my dorm?
New students will receive instructions at checkpoints along the move-in route. RD’s will welcome students in the lobby of their building.
Where should we stay the night before move-in if we are from out of state?
A list of local hotel and restaurant options is available below.
Will the campus store be open?
Yes. The Ouachita Campus Store, located in the lower level of Evans Student Center, will be open.
Where should we park after I’ve moved in?
All vehicles will be required to move out of the residence hall parking lots when they’re unloaded to make room for the next shift of move-in appointments. Parking can be found behind JPAC, Maddox Hall, SPEC and Tollett Hall.
Where’s the best place to go if I forgot things or need to buy supplies?
In Arkadelphia, the best places to go for supplies are Walmart Supercenter, Walgreens or Brookshire’s Grocery.
Where do I get my student ID if I don’t already have one?
The Student Development office will be open and available to help you with your student ID. You can find it on the main floor of Evans Student Center, around the corner from the stage at Dr. Jack’s Coffeehouse.
Where do I get my parking permit?
Campus Safety will be distributing and applying parking permits during move in.
Will Ouachita Commons (the cafeteria) be open?
Yes! The Ouachita Commons will be open.
Still have questions after reading the FAQ section? That’s okay. If you’re a new student, contact your admissions counselor or call (870) 245-5110. If you’re a returning student, contact the Office of Student Development at (870) 245-5220.
Ouachita Student Foundation sets new Tiger Tunes fundraising record
What not to pack for college
Ouachita names 40 students to Who's Who
Ouachita to house one of the first two university-based locations of Tacos 4 Life
Falling in love with Ouachita
Students Live on Campus
NCAA D-II Athletic Teams
Ouachita's Founding Year
GET IN TOUCH
Have a question about Ouachita? Want more information? Shoot us a message!