The first challenge of your college experience may be figuring out how to squeeze the essential possessions of two people into one residence hall room. Communicate with your roommate before you arrive on campus especially concerning large items such as microwaves, refrigerators, and televisions.
Arkadelphia does have a Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, Brookshires, Dollar General, and Family Dollar. However, we recommend that you come prepared with as much as you can since these stores will be taxed heavily due to the large influx of students.
Here are our suggestions as you think about packing for Ouachita:
- bedding - sheets, mattress pad, pillow, bedspread
- towels and washcloths
- hangers, iron, ironing board
- trash can
- scissors, stapler, hole punch
- pens, pencils, hi-liters
- post-it notes, super-glue
- 3M Command Strips and white sticky tack*
- computer paper, envelopes, stamps, tape
- rubber bands, paper clips
- liquid laundry detergent - no pods!
- vacuum cleaner, cleaning supplies
- can-opener, plastic ware, plates, cups, bowls
- paper towels, Kleenex
- first-aid kit
- computer (LAN cable if not wireless)
- TV and connecting cables
- radio, stereo
- alarm clock
- study lamp (NOT halogen)
- curtains and tension rods (NOT anchor brackets)
- dry erase board
*3M Command Strips and white stidky tack are the only acceptable way to secure anything to the walls. These products are sold in the campus bookstore.
Students are allowed to bring the following appliances:
- Refrigerator* that must be smaller than 4.5 cubic feet.
- Microwaves,* small is encouraged.
- Televisions,* flat screen TVs may not be mounted to the walls.
*Only one of each of these appliances is allowed per room. Not only does this help with energy consumption, but also with each student's living space.
Please do NOT bring the following items:
- Candles, which are not even permitted for decoration
- Open flame / open coil appliances
- Halogen lamps
- Weapons: If you are a hunter, contact Student Services about storing your firearm.