Why are internships so important? Here are just 5 quick reasons they are so great for students in all majors:
1. Gain hands-on career experience
2. Network & build connections
3. Learn time management and professional etiquette
4. Become a competitive candidate for future jobs
5. Identify a career path that's right for you
The Arkansas State Chamber of Commerce recently launched Intern in Arkansas, a comprehensive listing of internship opportunities in many disciplines throughout the state.
One of the best resources we've found is Internships.com, which maintains a nationwide database of internships in numerous fields. The site also has an Internship Predictor that can help identify areas of interest which is helpful, too!
Additional internship search sites:
- Idealist.org is a fantastic resource for students interested in working in the nonprofit sector. More than 100,000 organizations nationwide are posting opportunities!
- Intern Match allows you to create a profile, search posted opportunities and gather relevant information from top employers and successful interns.
- Experience.com has an Internship section that features a wide range of internships as well as helpful blogs and tips.
- LearnHowToBecome.org is a comprehensive career resource with a mission to help students and aspiring professionals understand what it takes to land their perfect career.
- Media Bistro is one of the best outlets for media/communications jobs and internships, including the booming social media market. Be sure to filter for internships specifically to make your search more efficient!
- Interested in traveling overseas? Intern Abroad may be your favorite site yet! Additionally, numerous organizations offer semester or year-long international internships that through StudyAbroad.com's Internship Abroad Programs.
Now that you're ready to apply for internships...
As you continue the internship search and begin applying, interviewing and getting ready for your first day, here are some great tips from employers that will help you make the most of this experience!
Be sure to take a few moments to write thank you notes to the organizations you interview with. Take time to share your appreciation with your internship supervisor at the conclusion of your internship.