The University Archives preserves the institutional memory of Ouachita Baptist University
through the preservation of official university records and related items of historical
significance. Established in 1984, the Archives holds several hundred cubic feet
of records pertaining to Ouachita's history, a large photographic collection, University publications, portraits and three-dimensional
University offices wishing to transfer non-current records that have lasting value to the institution are encouraged to contact the Archivist, Dr. Lisa Speer, at 870-245-5332 or by email to arrange an onsite consultation.
Browse or search OBU’s Scholarly Commons to find guides to official and unofficial University records held in the Archives.
The University yearbook, the Ouachitonian, has been digitized and can also be viewed on OBU's Scholarly Commons, as can OBU catalogs, student handbooks, graduate theses and select back issues of the alumni magazine, the Ouachita Circle.
If you do not find the materials in which you are interested, please contact us. Some of the records we hold are not yet processed.
The Archives welcomes donations of material from former students, graduates, faculty and staff, and others. Scrapbooks, programs, memorabilia, photographs, and 3-dimensional objects that document the history of Ouachita are among the types of material appropriate for donation. The Archives also seeks to acquire copies of the very earliest college yearbooks. If you have materials that you would consider donating to the Archives, please contact the Archivist at 870-245-5332 or by email. Browse or search the OBU Scholarly Commons to find guides to materials donated by former students, faculty and staff of Ouachita.
Yearbooks for Purchase
The Archives has a surplus of university yearbooks from decades past that were never distributed. If you are interested in purchasing a yearbook from a specific year, please contact us for availability and price.
Founded by Drs. Joe Jeffers and Everett Slavens, Faculty Colloquium is a gathering at which faculty present research and report on professional development activities. English Professor Betty McCommas delivered the first Faculty Colloquium presentation in 1974.
Presenters for 2021-22 include:
September 1 - Myra Houser (History)
September 15 - Holly Kyzer (Dietetics)
October 6 - Christin Pruett and Nathan Reyna (Biology)
October 20 - Becky Parnell (Nursing)
November 3 - Maddie Myers-Burg (Psychology)
November 17 - Carol McKeever (Nursing)
December 1 - Lisa Speer (Library Archives & Special Collections)
January 19 - Sabbatical Recipients Panel
February 2 - Hallie Wallace (Kinesiology/Leisure Studies)
February 16 - Jeremy Greer (Christian Studies)
March 2 - Josh Kwekel (Biology)
March 16 - Gail Hughes (Education)
April 6 - Elizabeth Kelly (Sociology)
April 20 - Kevin Brennan (Political Science)
May 4 - Johan Eriksson (Business)
The University Archives is the official repository for minutes from faculty/staff assemblies (occur at beginning of each semester) and faculty meetings. Access to these minutes requires a current OBU user name and password.
• 2000-2001: August, December, January, March, April
• 2001-2002: August, December, January, April
• 2002-2003: August, December, January, April
• 2003-2004: August, December, January, April
• 2004-2005: August, November, January, April
• 2005-2006: August, November, January, April
• 2006-2007: August, November, January, April
• 2007-2008: August, November, January, April
• 2008-2009: August, December, January, April
• 2009-2010: August, December, January, April
• 2010-2011: August, November, January, May
• 2011-2012: August, November, January, May
• 2012-2013: August, November, January, April
• 2013-2014: August (agenda), December, January, March, April
• 2014-2015: August, December, January, March, April
• 2015-2016: August, December, January, May
• 2016-2017: August, October, November, January, March, May
• 2017-2018: August, November, January, March, May
• 2018-2019: August, November, March, April
• 2019-2020: August, October, December, March, May
• 2020-2021: August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April