Ouachita’s School of Fine Arts announces adjusted spring eventsFebruary 09, 2021 - Mandy Halbert
Ouachita Baptist University’s School of Fine Arts has adjusted its Spring 2021 events, including concerts, theatre productions and art galleries, to allow students to continue their performance education as well as provide safe viewing for audiences following COVID-19 guidelines from the Arkansas Department of Health and Ouachita’s Health Monitoring and Action Team.
Live events for the spring semester will follow the same protocols that were introduced last semester, with attendance limited to the Ouachita campus community and reduced seating in order to follow social distancing guidelines. Most performances will be available to audiences to view for free at www.livestream.com/obu, while others will require paid access though www.obu.edu/boxoffice. A handful of outdoor concerts also will be available on the Ouachita Division of Music Facebook page.
“It’s been an unusual year for the School of Fine Arts,” said Dr. Gary Gerber, dean of the School of Fine Arts and chair of the Division of Music. “The professors and students have managed to work with the protocols and still create and produce their art. This in itself has been a tremendous accomplishment for them and Ouachita.”
By following guidelines, students and staff are continuing to rehearse and perform.
“Thankfully, Ouachita and Dr. Gerber have made a safe environment for us to still perform our recitals and shows live,” said Ryan Lynch, a senior musical theatre major from Bryant, Ark. “The hardest part of doing my recital in a pandemic is the rule that we have to stay 12 feet apart from each of our partners during our scenes and duet if we don’t want to wear a mask. However, it’s definitely a small price to pay so that we can still perform.”
“Even though we might not have sung or played as much literature as we have in previous years, students have still continued learning and progressing throughout their Ouachita career,” Gerber said.
The following School of Fine Arts events will be open to the Ouachita community and available via livestream at www.livestream.com/obu:
- Friday, Feb. 5 (2 p.m.) – Virginia Queen Piano Competition
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 (2 p.m.) – Shambarger Competition for Singers
- Tuesday, Feb. 23 (7:30 p.m.) – Jazz Band Concert
- Saturday, March 13 (7:30 p.m.) – Ten-Minute Play Festival
- Tuesday, March 16 (7:30 p.m.) – Wind Ensemble Concert
- Thursday, March 18 (7:30 p.m.) – Symphonic Band Concert
- Tuesday, March 30 (7:30 p.m.) – Chamber Winds Concert
- Monday, April 19 (7:30 p.m.) – Percussion Ensemble Concert
- Monday, April 26 (7:30 p.m.) – Prism Concert (Instrumental Ensembles)
- Wednesday, April 28 (8 p.m.) – Steel Drum Band Concert
Details for paid viewing the following events will be posted at a later date at www.obu.edu/boxoffice:
- Thursday – Saturday, Feb. 25-27 (7:30 p.m.), Sunday, Feb. 28 (2:30 p.m.) and Monday, March 1 (7:30 p.m.) – Muse Project: “The Old Man & The Old Moon”
- Thursday – Saturday, April 15-17 (7:30 p.m.) and Sunday, April 18 (2:30 p.m.) – Spring Musical: “Little Women”
The following Division of Music concerts will be livestreamed only, with no live audience:
- Thursday, April 22 (7:30 p.m.) – Concert Choir Concert
- Tuesday, April 27 (7:30 p.m.) – Women’s Chorus/Singers Concert
The following events will be available to the Ouachita community only, with no online option available:
- Friday, March 19 (5 p.m.) – Ouachita Outdoor Choir Concert
- Tuesday, April 6 (5 p.m.) – Steel Drum Amphitheatre Concert
- Thursday, April 15 (5 p.m.) – Steel Drum Amphitheatre Concert
- Thursday and Friday, April 29-30 (7:30 p.m.) – One-Act Play Festival
The following visual arts exhibits will be open to the community for viewing Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon in the Rosemary Gossett Adams Gallery in Moses-Provine Hall:
- Tuesday, Jan. 19 – Friday, Feb. 26 – Guest artist: Brad Wreyford, “Perpetual Fringe” exhibit
- Tuesday, Jan. 19 – Friday, Feb. 26 – Visual Arts faculty exhibit
- Wednesday, April 21 – Saturday, Oct. 2 – Student Juried Art Show
For more information, contact the School of Fine Arts at (870) 245-5129 or the OBU Box Office at (870) 245-5555 or obu.edu/boxoffice.
Lead photo: Students rehearse physically-distanced while wearing masks for the Department of Theatre Arts' production "Hay Fever" in November 2020. Ouachita's School of Fine Arts students and staff continue to follow state COVID-19 guidelines for both students' and audiences' safety. Photo by Abby Blankenship.