Graduation & Commencement
Saturday, May 8, 2021 • 9:30 a.m. • Cliff Harris Stadium
Tickets are required for guests. Each graduate may reserve up to 8 free tickets using their 5-digit Ouachita ID number as a Passcode. Please reserve only the number of tickets needed for those in your party to help prevent unsafe crowding at the event. Each Passcode may be used multiple times until the 8-ticket limit is reached, so different members of the graduate’s party can reserve their own tickets. Tickets may be presented at the gate on a mobile device or printed using the print-at-home delivery option.
Guest seating will be limited due to capacity constraints to maintain physical distancing. Gates will open at 8 a.m. Seating will be reserved for the graduating class, faculty, program guests and those requiring accommodation. Friends and family not able to attend in person may watch live at livestream.com/obu or through the Livestream app.
For those sitting on the field, flat-soled shoes are required. Additionally, food and drink are not permitted on the field.
Caps and gowns: Caps and gowns will be distributed at the Cap and Gown Party on Cone-Bottoms Lawn on Tuesday, April 27, from 12-2:30 p.m. (This will move to JPAC lobby in the event of rain.) You will not be permitted to participate in the ceremony without them.
Rehearsal: Commencement rehearsal will be held Friday, May 7, at 3:30 p.m., beginning at Crews Athletic Pavilion and ending at Cliff Harris Stadium. It is very important that graduates attend rehearsal.
Footwear: We recommend wearing comfortable, flat-soled shoes. You will be walking from the Crews Athletic Pavilion to the field. Spike heels are not permitted on the artificial turf.
Masks: Masks will be required at Commencement and related events. We will provide a Ouachita mask for every graduate.
Weather: Commencement will continue even with rain unless there is lightning or other danger that would require delaying. Bring a poncho or umbrella for possible rain.
Tickets: Your guests must have a ticket to enter the event. Each graduate may reserve up to 8 tickets. See details above.
Our main desire is to celebrate our graduates, but we also have a responsibility for the safety of those participating in the event and accountability to the Arkansas Department of Health. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
The following protocols will be in place at the event:
- Face coverings should be worn throughout the event except for children under 2 years of age.
- Do not enter if you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell.
- Do not enter if you have had known exposure to someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- You may want to refrain from entering if you are 65 years of age or older or have underlying health conditions.
- Those attending the event are encouraged to wash their hands frequently. Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the venue.
- Individuals should maintain at least 6 feet of physical distance between themselves and others. Family groups may sit together, but 6 feet should be maintained between groups. Please observe seating markers as well as other signage throughout the venue.
Guests who need accommodation due to limited mobility (walkers or wheelchairs) may make arrangements to reserve parking and seating by contacting the registrar’s office at 870-245-4298. You will still need to reserve a ticket online, as well.
Guests who have arranged for special seating may enter at the North 8th Street gate, where vehicles will be admitted to conveniently drop off guests near the stands. Reserved parking also will be available.
Commencement will be streamed live at livestream.com/obu. The video will be available there after the event, as well.
Ouachita will provide links to a digital gallery of photos in the days following the ceremony via social media and email. Follow Ouachita and #OBUgrad21 on social media to follow along with the event and see follow-up coverage.
Commencement will continue even with rain unless there is lightning or other danger that would require delaying. Bring a poncho or umbrella for possible rain.
In order to verify that a student has met all requirements for graduation, a Dean's Degree Check and a Graduation Check must be conducted. These checks are to be done in the semester prior to the student's semester of graduation. The following steps must be taken:
- A Dean's Degree Check must be done by the dean of the student's major. After it is established that the student meets all graduation requirements, the student makes an appointment with the Registrar's Office for a Graduation Check.
- A final Graduation Check must be conducted by the Registrar's Office.
It is the student's responsibility to make appointments for the Degree Plan Check and the Graduation Check. Students will not be considered for graduation until both steps are complete.