Graduation & Commencement
Saturday, December 5, 2020 • 2 p.m. • Cliff Harris Stadium
Commencement for 2021 graduates is scheduled for Saturday, May 8, 2021. Location and other details TBD.
Saturday, December 5, 2020, at 2 p.m. at Cliff Harris Stadium
Commencement Day Schedule
- 11 a.m. – Graduates’ Brunch • Ouachita Commons
This event is for graduates only, RSVP required
- 1:15 p.m. – Graduates Line Up • Crews Athletic Pavilion (indoor football facility
near the intramural fields)
It is important that grads are present and in their robes by 1:15 p.m. to receive instructions about the ceremony. For those not attending the Graduates’ Brunch, please arrive by 1 p.m. to receive your cap and gown.
- 2 p.m. – Commencement Begins • Cliff Harris Stadium
Gates open at noon for guests. Guests must have a ticket to enter. See below for ticket reservation details.
Tickets are required for guests. Each graduate may reserve up to 6 free tickets using their 5-digit Ouachita ID number as a Passcode. Please reserve only the number of tickets needed for those in your party to help prevent unsafe crowding at the event. Each Passcode may be used multiple times until the 6-ticket limit is reached, so different members of the graduate’s party can reserve their own tickets. Tickets may be presented at the gate on a mobile device or printed using the print-at-home delivery option.
Guest seating will be limited due to capacity constraints to maintain physical distancing. The stands will be marked to show which seats are available. Limited seating for guests also will be available on the field. Please do not move chairs or placed distancing guidelines. Seating will be reserved for the graduating class, faculty, program guests and those requiring accommodation. Friends and family not able to attend in person may watch live at livestream.com/obu or through the Livestream app.
For those sitting on the field, flat-soled shoes are recommended. Stiletto heels could be damaged in the artificial turf. Additionally, food and drink are not permitted on the field.
Caps and gowns: Caps and gowns will be distributed at the Graduates’ Brunch. (For those not attending the brunch, pick up your cap and gown at the Crews Athletic Pavilion at 1 p.m.) If you already have your cap and gown, remember to bring them with you! You will not be permitted to participate in the ceremony without them.
Footwear: We recommend wearing comfortable, flat-soled shoes. You will be walking from the Crews Athletic Pavilion to the field. Additionally, stiletto heels could be damaged in the artificial turf.
Masks: Masks are required at both brunch and Commencement. We will provide a Ouachita mask for every graduate.
Name pronunciation: Your name as it appears on your diploma will be read aloud during the ceremony. If you’re concerned about the correct pronunciation of your name, or if you prefer a different variation of your name to be read aloud (for example, no middle name), please call the Office of Academic Affairs at 870.245.5196 or send a voice memo to email@example.com.
Weather: Commencement will continue even with rain unless there is lightning or other danger that would require canceling. Dress warmly and bring a poncho or umbrella for possible rain.
Tickets: Your guests must have a ticket to enter the event. Each graduate may reserve up to 6 tickets. See details above.
Our main desire is to celebrate our graduates, but we also have a responsibility for the safety of those participating in the event and accountability to the Arkansas Department of Health. We appreciate your patience and cooperation. The following protocols will be in place at the event:
- Face coverings must be worn throughout the event except for children under 2 years of age.
- Do not enter if you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell.
- Do not enter if you have had known exposure to someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- You may want to refrain from entering if you are 65 years of age or older or have underlying health conditions.
- Those attending the event are encouraged to wash their hands frequently. Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the venue.
- Individuals should maintain at least 6 feet of physical distance between themselves and others. Family groups may sit together, but 6 feet should be maintained between groups. Please observe seating markers as well as other signage throughout the venue.
Guests who need accommodation due to limited mobility (walkers or wheelchairs) may make arrangements to reserve parking and seating by contacting the registrar’s office at 870-245-4298. You will still need to reserve a ticket online, as well.
Guests who have arranged for special seating may enter at the North 8th Street gate, where vehicles will be admitted to conveniently drop off guests near the stands. Reserved parking also will be available.
Commencement will be streamed live at livestream.com/obu. The video will be available there after the event, as well.
Ouachita will provide links to a digital gallery of photos in the days following the ceremony via social media and email. Follow Ouachita and #OBUgrad20 on social media to follow along with the event and see follow-up coverage.
Commencement will continue even with rain unless there is lightning or other danger that would require canceling. Dress warmly and bring a poncho or umbrella for possible rain.
In order to verify that a student has met all requirements for graduation, a Dean's Degree Check and a Graduation Check must be conducted. These checks are to be done in the semester prior to the student's semester of graduation. The following steps must be taken:
- A Dean's Degree Check must be done by the dean of the student's major. After it is established that the student meets all graduation requirements, the student makes an appointment with the Registrar's Office for a Graduation Check.
- A final Graduation Check must be conducted by the Registrar's Office.
It is the student's responsibility to make appointments for the Degree Plan Check and the Graduation Check. Students will not be considered for graduation until both steps are complete.