Communications and Media: B.A.
Looking for a career in the ever-changing world of media and communications? Ouachita’s communications and media students are equipped in a hands-on learning environment for today’s diverse communications-related positions as well as emerging careers as technology continues to evolve and expand. Choose among six career-focused emphases: strategic communications, visual media & film, multimedia journalism, sports media, communications studies or integrated communications.
Social Media Marketing
This flexible degree program allows you to choose an emphasis to suit your interests and the needs of your future career path:
- Strategic Communications
- Visual Media & Film
- Multimedia Journalism
- Sports Media
- Communications Studies
- Integrated Communications
Job or Graduate School Placement
Students Have Attended Sundance Film Festival
Communications Program in Arkansas by Niche.com
State and National Media Awards in 2022-23
choose your path
The Strategic Communications emphasis is designed for students who are interested in the fields of communications and marketing.
Courses focus on marketing campaigns, advertising, public relations, event planning and social media marketing. Students work on a real-world campaign with a corporate client.
Ouachita alumni in this field include:
- President, Arkansas Business Publishing
- COO, Team SI (Social Innovation)
- Director, Benton Event Center
- Communications Director, Walton Family Foundation
- Communications project coordinator, Arkansas Children’s Hospital
- Director of Marketing, Arkansas Heart Hospital
- Senior Communications Representative, Lockheed Martin
- Marketing & Tourism Manager, Museum of Fine Arts Boston
- Director of Marketing & Communications, Pediatrics Plus
The Visual Media and Film emphasis is designed for students who are interested in creating meaningful content for the film and broadcast media industry.
Classes focus on video writing, production and editing, as well as the history and current issues in visual media. Students in our Sundance class attend the Sundance Film Festival in January, where they interact with film writers and producers. Opportunities in the field include work with a corporate, nonprofit or ministry communications team.
Alumni in this field include:
- Co-anchor, FOX News Atlanta
- Executive Director of Communications, The Church at Rock Creek
- Digital Content Producer, WCNC-TV Charlotte, NC
- Sports photojournalist KATV, Little Rock
- Cinematographer, Los Angeles
- Marathon Digital Broadway Shows, New York City
- Freelance writer, Turner Classic Movies
- Reporter, Beverly Press
The Multimedia Journalism emphasis is designed for students who are interested in how to communicate messages using a variety of platforms.
Courses include knowledge and skills in social media, print design, video, broadcasting, photography and feature writing.
Alumni working in the field of multimedia journalism include:
- Senior editor, Arkansas Democrat Gazette; notable blogger
- Content manager, Arkansas Baptist State Convention
- Senior Editor and Columnist, Arkansas Democrat-gazette
- Assistant editor at D Magazine, Dallas
- Digital Media Producer, Prestonwood Baptist Church
- Director, Digital Strategy & Brand Engagement at Walmart
- Journalism teacher and advisor at Central High School, Little Rock
- Television News Anchor/Reporter 5News
- Author and Sustainability Influences
- News Director, KARK
- Reporter, KARK
The Sports Media emphasis of the Communications & Media major prepares students for careers in the growing sports industry, both through traditional media and new media approaches to sports journalism, broadcasting and public relations.
Course content focuses on skill development in a variety of platforms, including print, video, online and broadcast. Students have extensive hands-on opportunities throughout their college careers in broadcasting live events, game coverage and sports promotion. Job and career opportunities in the field of sports media are plentiful and ever-changing to meet the sports industry landscape. Students will develop an extensive resume to apply for jobs with sports journalism outlets, as well as a variety of media positions for professional franchises and college athletic departments.
Alumni in this field of work include:
- Director web content for Bassmaster.com and Outdoor Channel
- Associate director of the NCAA
- Videographer, WXIA 11 Alive TV (NBC) in Atlanta, GA
- Play-by-play voice, Northwestern State University Demon Athletics; sports radio talk show host
- Sr. Editor, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- Associate Director, Media Coordination and Statistics, NCAA
- Senior Director, Track Communications at NASCAR
- Locutor at Cumulus Media, Inc.
- Assistant Director of Athletic Communications, Ouachita
The Communications Studies emphasis is designed for students interested in oral communication and communications in different settings.
Courses focus on communications in personal, small group, family and corporate setting. Opportunities in this area include work with corporate, non-profit and ministry communications teams.
- Executive assistant, CJRW advertising agency
- Oral communications and theatre teacher, Little Rock Christian Academy
- Associate Professor of Communication, Clemson University
- Assistant Professor of Communication, Clemson University
- Business Development Representative and Licensed Professional Counselor, Pinnacle Point Behavioral Healthcare System
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Author and Motivational Speaker
- Law School, Oklahoma City University
The Integrated Communications emphasis is designed for students who have a unique interest in communications that requires a combination of emphases. A student can propose a 12-hour emphasis to be approved by the adviser, department chair and dean.
In their words
hear from a faculty member & student
"I wouldn’t be where I am today if it wasn’t for the Ouachita Department of Communications. I got hands-on experience every day from freshman year to senior year. It was that experience that helped me land my dream job as a news reporter in Little Rock, Arkansas. Working with professors who believed in me, guided me and pushed me to my best was one of the many highlights of my time at Ouachita. I am so thankful for this department and the lasting relationships I formed while being there."
2023 communications & media graduate from Arkadelphia, Ark.
BENEFIT FROM AN ENGAGED AND EXPERIENCED ALUMNI NETWORK
With many notable communications and media graduates nearby – or at least a video chat away – you’ll have the opportunity to pick their brains during guest lectures, informal networking and more. Their expertise can help shape your time in the classroom – and may even be the foot in the door for your first job!
GO, LEARN, TRANSFORM YOUR PERSPECTIVE WITH TRAVEL
Ouachita at Sundance is one of several high-impact travel experiences available to communications students. The class attends Sundance Film Festival each year to see and discuss faith, culture and storytelling at the forefront of the film industry. Then, apply it to your career with a semester of study.
HANDS-ON LEARNING WITH PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT
You’ll be trained on industry-standard tools of the trade, including the Adobe Creative Suite and cutting edge video, photo and audio equipment. The Turner Studio, Speer Design Labs (two Mac-only computer labs) and publications newsroom are spaces geared toward collaborative and hands-on student learning.
that sets you apart.
As a communications & media major at Ouachita, you’ll have many opportunities to gain hands-on experience outside of the classroom. From working on our award-winning student publications staffs to off-campus internships to serving with campus organizations, there will be an option that fits your needs and passions. Every communications & media major at Ouachita is required to practice their skills on at least two media teams during their junior and senior years, and internships are encouraged. Many majors join a team as a freshman and rise to assistant editor, editor or director positions. These portfolio-building opportunities will take your resume to the next level when it comes to pursuing a career in the field.
Ouachita student media honored among the best locally, nationally
Chris Babb '99
Dr. Jack's business growing with a focus on missions
Return to Sundance
Three Ouachita seniors intern for U.S. Sen. Boozman
GET IN TOUCH
Have a question about Ouachita? Want more information? Shoot us a message!